copyright © 25Hoon English 版權所有
Unit 27 :
Getting a Driver's License
To be able to learn some requirements of having a car.
Is getting a driver’s license easy in your country? What are the steps in getting it?
Repeat the following words and phrases with your teacher and use them in a sentence.
- driver’s manual(phr)
- traffic laws(phr)
- with flying colors(phr)
- vision test(phr)
- screwed up(phr)
- parallel parking(phr)
Read the dialogue aloud with your teacher.
Hey, Henry. You look busy. What’s that you’re reading?
Oh, hi, Jane. I’m studying the driver’s manual so I can finally get my driver’s license. I just hope I can remember all these traffic laws.
I’m sure you’ll pass the tests with flying colors, especially since you can miss a few and still pass.
Just don’t forget to bring your glasses with you so you don’t fail the vision test.
Yeah, I know. I think the written test will be okay, but I’m really worried about the road test. I never took driver’s ed and I’m nervous behind the wheel.
My brother failed his test the first time because he forgot to signal a left turn, and then he didn’t yield to a pedestrian. He also screwed up on the parallel parking.
It sounds like he just got nervous. A busy intersection is always tricky. So when’s your appointment at theDMV?
Next Tuesday. But I might just go in earlier and take the test as a walk-in.
Can’t wait, huh? Well, I’ll let you get back to studying. Good luck!
Thanks. See you around.
Below are the beginner skills checklist. What are the skills that you already have?Can you discuss each.
- Turns: speed and use of signals
- Braking smoothly: gradually slowing to a stop
- Accelerating smoothly: steadily increasing to a safe speed within the posted limit
- Approaching intersections controlled by stop signs or lights
- Determining right of way
- Single-lane and multi-lane roadways (low speeds)
- Changing lanes and how to merge into traffic safely
- Maintaining appropriate speed
- Scanning for and identifying hazards
- Keeping a safe following distance
- Sharing the road with cyclists, pedestrians, and school buses
- Driving in a school zone
- Reacting to an approaching emergency vehicle
- Using turning lanes
Share your ideas with your teacher.
- At what age can you get a license in your country?
- Do you think the age for driving should be raised or lowered?
- Do you think driving lessons should be provided by high schools?
- Should new drivers have a period of accompanied driving? Or some kind of trial period?